A God Nod is that moment when we realize God is giving us confirmation for a question, project, or plan we have been considering.
I was recently trying to make a particularly difficult decision. After praying for several days, I wrote a list of pros and cons. Then, I began to ask myself deeper questions about motivation, desire, and self. Deciding to take a short break, I walked to the mailbox and discovered an item that seemed to confirm the project. I received what I call a God Nod.
How do we know when we are receiving a genuine God Nod?
- First, and most importantly, it does NOT contradict God’s written word. God will NEVER tell us it is okay to do something He has already declared wrong.
- Second, we have prayed about it. It’s difficult, if not impossible, to know what someone wants if we don’t ask them. Enlist others to pray about it with us.
- Third, we have analyzed the situation. Do we know the earthly wisdom and the biblical advice on the subject? Seek advice from others.
- Fourth, we have made a list of the things we think are confirmation AND the things that look like caution or stop signs. When we compare the lists, does it still look like confirmation?
- Finally, how do we feel about it? While decisions should not be made on an emotional basis alone, emotion can be an indicator of the desires of our heart or the prompting of the Spirit. Analyze those feelings.
After we’ve looked at God’s Word, the facts, the apparent confirmation, any caution or stop signs, and analyzed any emotional reaction, we should be able to see when God is giving His approval. We can accept the God Nod and move forward with confidence!
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
– James 1:5
[Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New International version®. Copyright© 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.™ Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved worldwide. www.zondervan.com The “NIV” and “New International Version” are trademarks registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office by Biblica, Inc.™]